November 26th: National Constitution Day
The Constitution of India is handwritten in Hindi as ‘Bharatiya Samvidhan’ and in English as ‘The Constitution of India’.
In India, Constitution Day, also known as National Law Day or Samvidhan Divas is observed on 26th November each year. In 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Constitution of India and came into effect on 26th January 1950. This day is a commemoration for the adoption of the constitution.
The Constituent Assembly of India was formed on 9th December 1946 to work on the Constitution of India. The chairperson of this committee was Dr. B R Ambedkar, the then Law Minister. Over a period of 2 years, 11 months and 18 days, 11 sessions were held before the signing of the Constitution. Two handwritten copies were made, one in Hindi as ‘Bharatiya Samvidhan’ and the other one in English as ‘The Constitution of India’.
- The Indian Constitution is the longest written constitution in the World
- A bag of offerings, constitutions of various countries, inspired the Indian Constitution
- Even after 70 years only 103 amendments have been made
- Indian Constitution is known as the best Constitution in the World
- The original constitution was handwritten by Prem Behari Narain Raizada and was beautifully decorated by the artists from Shantiniketan
Significance of this Day
B R Ambedkar, also known as the Father of the Indian Constitution, was a renowned social reformer and a politician. He was the chairman of the constitution drafting committee at the time. Prime Minister Narendra Modi marked 26th January as Constitution Day in 2015. 2015 was the 125th birth anniversary year of Ambedkar as well. The National Constitution Day is for spreading awareness about the importance of the Indian Constitution and its architect, Dr Ambedkar.